Jan 3, 2008

To Read or not to Read

Okay, so yesterday was not my finest one of the year so far!

I let the kids have friends over to play, made homemade calzones and cookies for lunch, even blogged finally! Not sounding so bad you say, well then I looked through the stack of books on my nightstand, looking for something to fill my brain and keep me preoccupied so that I wouldn't eat all the cookies I made or just eat all day in general! I found a book my friend Kadi had lent me a while ago -Nanny Diaries- I got into it right away and found myself sitting in the same chair ALL DAY! I get into such a zone when I find a story that takes me to another place, I love it, but as soon as it is time for dinner, I am still reading! As soon as it is time for bed, I'm still reading! Rick comes in and asks if I would come down to read scriptures (his New Years Resolution, he is soo good), I say that I am reading! Midnight rolls around and I finally finish the book. I look at my surroundings and realized I missed prayer and goodnight hugs and kisses and I feel awefull!

I know that my obsessiveness sometimes is a little overbearing when it comes to some things, but I never thought that I would choose a silly book over reading scriptures and saying goodnight to my kids! Tonight will be over the top with love and affection from mom!!!

4 comments:

Barry and Shannon said...

I've been feeling that way about the Twilight series. I've neglected my kids a few days during my obsession! Don't feel too bad!

Lucy said...

You know how I get when I read a book. Exactly like you! I'm glad you lost yourself in a book. I think it's a great thing to do every once in a while. And, although you think you missed out on being a good example to your kids, reading like that...like you can't bear to not do it, is a great example. It'll probably make them excited about reading. Of course, scriptures too! I mean, I'm not that clueless:)

Allison said...

I have found some more books that are awesome. The author Meg Cabot is amazing. I have read her Size Twelve isn't Fat and Size Fourteen isn't Fat Either as well as The Queen of Babble. VERY good reads, if you want to ignore your family some more that is. (Don't feel bad, that is how I read too.)

Melissa said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that neglects their family! It feels so good to "go away" in a book every now and then.